Sunday, November 29, 2009

Deal or No DeaL?

Our first meeting in English 2: Writing in the Discipline was extraordinary. I have met different students from different colleges of whom I made friends with. We are A3-2 heterogeneous section so it is expected to be a class of various fields in engineering, education, marketing, and accountancy. Yet most my classmates are from the College of Business Administration and Accountancy, my fellow yellow Griffins. Everyone was busy talking with their seatmates, including me of course, when our professor came in.

Her name is Lynnie Ann Deocampo. The moment she entered the room, everything went silent. She smiled, introduced herself, and started talking about the rules and regulations in our class. She talked in English so fluently. Really, I am fascinated. Wow. It seems like the words she uttered came naturally from her mouth. The statements were fluently spoken by her that it captured the attention of everyone.

Speak in English. That's the first and the last rule. Whether you like it or not. From the time we enter the room, we should be talking in the English language. As what Ma'am Lynnie told us, "There is no room for the vernacular here." If ever one is caught speaking in a language aside from English, he or she will have a certain deduction from his or her own grade. And if we are caught by our own classmate, he or she can earn that corresponding deducted point which will be given by teacher Lynnie herself. Better risk my own life than dare to speak in Cebuano.

Deal or no deal? I know why our professor implemented that rule. It is for our own good. Just like a mother wanting the best for her child. Because I believe that one way of improving my skill of communicating in English is by using it myself and expressing my ideas in the way that is effective to the one I am talking with. That is why I'm on this challenge. Ma'am, I am taking it as a deal.

(^.^)!

No comments:

Post a Comment